While driving back to my house yesterday, one of my friends asked me how I felt turning 22 tomorrow (which would be today!) Honestly, my brain feels like it’s in a fog right now. It could be due to multiple reasons; life has just seemed to fly by, finals are upon us, and sleep deprivation is starting to kick in. I can’t believe I’m turning 22 today and I laugh at the fact that I thought 22 was so old and that I’d have my life together by now.
I joke that birthdays are the days where you actually get your money’s worth out of your iPhone because it has been blowing up since the early morning. Thank you thank you thank you to every single one of you who has sent me a happy birthday message! It has made me feel tremendously loved (and cry a lot)
Twenty-one was one of those life changing years for sure; It’s kind of crazy how much can become different in 12 months. I find myself reflecting on this past year with a mix of emotions: surprise, fear, joy, regret, sadness, confusion but mostly gratitude.
Grateful because I have lived another year, loved another year, and added so many incredible people to my life. Here are 21 lessons that became imprinted in my heart:
1. I am not a grown up just because I move out of my house.
2. Feeding yourself on a timely basis is actually a lot harder than it seems.
3. You CAN eventually become a morning person; it just might take the majority of your life thus far to accomplish it.
4. Friends are important yes, but never forget that your family (your parents) will be there for you no matter what.
5. Grace is painful because it usually involves change, but it always ends in overwhelming peace.
6. Valuing your alone time does not mean you have to do most things alone.
7. There’s always more pride in your heart than you think.
8. Not everyone can stay in your life forever, even if you want them to; people come into your life for a season, a reason, or a lifetime.
9. You should call your grandparents more often.
10. Prayer is not an option; it’s a necessity.
11. I have slowly become someone I said I’d never be: my mother.
12. You can’t do it all. Repeat that to yourself.
13. Bangs sound like a good idea in theory. Leave them in the theory next time.
14. Don’t wait for special occasions to dress up. Life is a special occasion.
15. I can travel alone and enjoy every minute of it.
16. It’s okay to let yourself miss things in your past, but once you’re done feeling that emotion, you do just that — leave it in the past.
17. Trust is earned in the small ways, and then asked of you in very big ways.
18. Confession is so so important. So so so so so so important.
19. Let go. Let go of what your life is supposed to look like. Seriously. Just let go.
20. Suffering is a beautiful experience, and can be so redeeming for your soul. You just have to stop feeling angry first to begin seeing it that way.
21. Be in love. In love with yourself, your life, your faith, your Lord. Be in love. Stay in love.
Thanks again for all the love,